We made it easy for you to learn to read music.
While you can become a skilled guitarist without it, learning to read music will undeniably make you a more skilled and competent musician. And it will open doors to musical resources and opportunities that would remain closed otherwise. The trouble is, there didn’t used to be a method dedicated solely to note reading for guitar, written with the average player in mind. Until now…
The Missing Method makes it easy for you to learn note reading.
Each book in the The Missing Method Note Reading series focuses on one section of the fretboard. This first book in the series focuses on the top of the neck, frets 0-4.
What makes it easy?
- Clear instructions: teach yourself or use in guitar lessons
- Progressive exercises: each new skill builds on the last
- Ample practice and review: master each skill before moving on
Who’s it for?
This first book in the note reading series is great for a variety of guitarists, including:
- Beginners and intermediate players with limited note reading experience
- Guitar players wanting to learn to read sheet music
- Players who want to focus on playing melodies (as opposed to strumming rhythms)
- Anyone looking to play classical, jazz, or soloing (but it’s useful for all genres & styles!)
When you’ve completed this book, you will:
- Be able to play every note in open position (frets 0-4)
- Understand accidentals and know how to play in every key
- Be able to read and play in a variety rhythms & time signatures
- Be able to sight-read sheet music
- Be a more competent and skilled musician
You can learn to read sheet music, and you’ll be happy you did. Click to order your copy, and let’s get started!
*New in the second edition:
- Updated songs and examples
- Even clearer practice instructions
- Additional rhythm practice pages
- New songs for practicing ties, dotted rhythms, and accidentals
- New Review Sections
What people are saying
This is an excellent book for learning how to read music for the guitar for both beginners (me) and more advanced. This series of 5 books makes learning guitar notation and note reading across the frets painless and enjoyable.
— Kerry Nelson, Amazon Reviewer (of 1st edition)
Experienced player, or novice, you'll learn from this book. It is clearly written, and well illustrated. This volume, the Open Position, is the foundation you need to become a better player.
— Amazon Reviewer (of 1st edition)
This is a very well written introductory guitar book with many exercises for every key using everything from whole notes to sixteenth notes
— MFP, Amazon Reviewer (of 1st edition)
A great series for students & teachers alike.
— Amazon Reviewer (of 1st edition)
THE MISSING METHOD DIFFERENCE
The Missing Method books were born out of the need for guitar method books that simply didn't exist. We don't replicate what is already working well. We strive to create something new to help you become a better guitar player.
Each book is designed progressively to take you through each lesson a step at a time. Whether you decide to use our books with an instructor or go it alone, you we've got you covered.
When we say mastery, we mean it. Each book features enough exercises and sample songs to offer variety and cement your skills.
A BA in Jazz Studies, a Master's Degree in Education, and over 20 years teaching guitar students of all ages means we can stand behind our material 100%.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get notified of new products and promotions directly to your inbox.